Thursday, February 24, 2011

Scott Van Pelt Rant

In case you did not hear, University of Maryland alumnus and current ESPN commentator/Radio Host Scott Van Pelt went on a three-minute, sixteen second tirade against the Maryland students and how they were NOT at yesterday's Florida State - Maryland basketball game (that included me).





Here's my take on yesterday's situation:

Yesterday was Wednesday and the start of exam week. So, many of my friends were studying for upcoming exams (that were not necessarily on Thursday); also, with the previous losses to Boston College and Virginia Tech (both sweeps), I, along with many other students, thought Maryland will NOT make the tourney (the NCAA tournament in mid-March); I usually tag along with my friends. If none of my friends on my floor of the dorm were going, then I wouldn't go and instead watch the game on tv; and the Duke game passed a month ago, so it's not worth going to even Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) games, because it won't amount to anything. Last year, the Duke game at home was the last home game, which is why most students went to every home game during the academic school year (excluding Winter Break games).

Picture taken by UMD student/Men's beat reporter Chris Eckard
As students, we do a scan-and-leave process, where we check in before the start of games and immediately exit, resulting in check-in 'points' for each game. Not going to games (while getting tickets for the game) results in a deduction of points - so if we get a free ticket, then we mainly do the scan-&-leave process - which is why the Comcast Center was 3/4 empty yesterday. But I should've gone to the game yesterday, since we won - 78-62 - in which we were only up by one at halftime.

I, along with thousands of other students, will make the final trek to Comcast Center on March 5 (a Saturday), since it's the last game of the season and the last game for Dino Gregory, Cliff Tucker and Adrian Bowie. And, it's against our cross-state rivals, the Virginia Cavaliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment