Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My 2011 NCAA Tourney Picks

 Like I do every year, I make multiple NCAA basketball brackets to see how my predictions fare. Year-in and year-out, I am disappointed. Last year, I had Kansas in the National Championship game - when Ali Farokhmanesh and Northern Iowa upset them in the second round, I, along with millions of other competitors, were severely shocked. The same was true with Kentucky as well, as they bowed out early. But 2006 was the exception: I had predicted the PERFECT Final Four and National Championship game of Florida versus Ohio State.

Enough about the past. It's all about the present. If you want to compare my picks with a friend's, check out The Daily Darsh.

Now with my selections, going from East to Southwest:
(Upsets in BOLD)


The East Region:
First Round Winners: Ohio St, George Mason, Clemson, Kentucky, Xavier, Syracuse, Washington and UNC
Second Round Winners: Ohio St, Kentucky, Syracuse, UNC
  • I believe that Villanova is on a downward spiral, and they are spinning out really quickly. After the Maryland game in January, they are 5-10 and are on a 5-game losing streak. GM, on the other hand, is 11-1 in its last 12 games.
  • Yes, I do have Clemson, the play-in game winner, advancing tonight to face, and eventually beat West Virginia. I don't know why, but I have Tiger Fever. #Tigerblood (A Charlie Sheen reference) 
  • The Game to Watch in the second round: Washington vs. UNC. Many have this as the upset in the East Region. I, not so much. I feel we might have a UNC-Duke Final Four matchup - or at least, UNC going to the Elite Eight - since the Tar Heels are peaking at the right time. 
The West Region:
First Round Winners: Duke, Tennessee, Arizona, Texas, Cincy, Connecticut, Penn St and San Diego State
We might see more of this in the Tourney
Second Round Winners: Duke, Arizona, Connecticut and San Diego State
  • Duke will easily make the Final Four. But I would not be surprised if they stumbled against Texas - a DEFINITE #2 seed
  • Watch out for Arizona - the Dark Horse in the West. They were a top-10 team during the regular season, and are led by sophomore Derrick Williams.
  • The bad guys win, which is why I have Tennessee over Michigan
  • Gotta go with the Nittany Lions over Temple, for they made it to the Big Ten championship game. They are En Fuego.
  • The Game to Watch in the Second Round: Arizona versus Texas. This will be a highly entertaining game versus two top-10 teams
The Southeast Region:
First Round Winners: Pitt, Butler, Utah State, Belmont, St. John's, BYU, Michigan St and UC-Santa Barbara
Second Round Winners: Pitt, Belmont, BYU, Michigan St
The Aggie Faithful call him, "Wild Bill."
  • Pittsburgh is my favorite to win the SE. They have a talented inside-out game with senior Gary McGhee and junior Ashton McGhee.
  • The UPSET REGION: I have both #12 Utah State and #13 Belmont winning and facing off against each other. But the other two, Kansas St and Wisconsin could come out victorious. But I'm rooting for the 30-4 Bruins and Wild Bill and the 30-3 Aggies.
    • Going with the Upset Special, #2 Florida has shown signs of weakness throughout the regular season. We might see the FIRST #15 seed actually winning - after all, we do have a white rapper and a black president, but I'm being a bit racist there with that joke.
  • The Game to Watch in the Second Round: Utah State versus Belmont. A battle of the 30-win underdogs.
The Southwest Region:
First Round Winners: Kansas, UNLV, Richmond, Louisville, Georgetown, Purdue, Texas A&M and Notre Dame
Ali Faro-wha?
Second Round Winners: Kansas, Louisville, Purdue and Notre Dame
  • I'm playing favorites in this region (only ONE major upset in this region), but based on injuries, the play-in winner could win against #6 Georgetown Hoyas and the Aggies of Texas A&M could defeat the Seminoles of Florida State
    • The Hoyas and the Seminoles could advance as far as the Sweet Sixteen should both Chris Wright (Hoyas) and James Singleton ('Noles) play at full strength
  • I believe the weakest #1 seed is Kansas. It's just a hunch - remember Northern Iowa last year?
    • In that case, I would have UNLV winning, and Louisville reaching the Elite Eight
  • The Game to Watch in the Second Round: Kansas vs. UNLV. This might have UPSET ALERT written all over it
FINAL FOUR PICKS:
I have two #1's (Pittsburgh Panthers and Duke Blue Devils) and two #2's (North Carolina Tar Heels and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish), with Duke and Pitt fighting it out in the National Championship game. Duke wins again (Argh!), 67-59. They could be a VERY dominant team, should they bring freshman phenom Kyrie Irving off the bench.

For only the few times in my life: GO DUKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment